Thai is one of my favorite cuisines as it reminds of spices from back home, India. For me, this is one cuisine that always brings the feeling of umami with each bite. I had this dish for the first time when I came to the US 4 years ago at Natalie’s Thai in LA and instantly fell in love with it.
Ever since, this dish has been a regular at our place and its my absolute go to recipe when we have eggplant at home. It is a simple dish to make with simple ingredients, you can also add veggies of your choice if you’d like more. Try this and I promise you will make this delicious dish again 🙂
For the Spicy Eggplant: Serves 4
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil + more cooking spray
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium-sized onion, cubed into bite-sized chunks
- 2 medium-sized red & yellow bell pepper, cubed into bite-sized chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1.5 tbsp of corn flour
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 bunch of fresh basil leaves
- 2-3 green onions finely sliced
- Salt as per taste
- Heat some oil in a pan of your choice. You could also use cooking spray if you are comfortable cooking with it. I tend to use use oil for this dish. Once the oil is hot, add sliced eggplant in one layer so that they don’t overlap and cook it in batches until medium soft and nicely browned on all sides.
- Meanwhile, heat a deep skillet or wok-shaped pan over high heat. Add oil and crushed red pepper & garlic and let sizzle for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Add onion and bell pepper and stir-fry for 7-10 minutes until browned.
- Now Add eggplant, and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add corn flour, soy sauce, 1/2 cup of water stir everything and close the work with a lid and let it cook for another 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with sugar, and toss for 1 or 2 minutes longer. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired with more soy sauce/salt/sugar.
- Remove pan from heat, add basil leaves and green onions and toss to combine with eggplant. Serve over hot cooked rice.
Writing this post is making me crave for the dish again, I think I am going to make it this week. Are you? Would love to hear how you liked this dish. Post your comments, likes, suggestions! Bon Apetit 🙂