Here is a dish that that is tangy, with a hint of spice and everything nice. You could have this as a salad or could make for a side dish too. This recipe is inspired from snack that i purchased at costco (pita pal organic balela). We absolutely love it and I feel its a lot more cost effective to make it at home.
Balela is a middle eastern dish and its brings forward a lot of the flavors from the area. You can experiment with this dish with the spices of your choice too to bring in a new twist. Here is the recipe that I love and I would encourage you to make it your own!
- 1 – 15 oz can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- 2/3 – 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup diced shallots
- 1/4 chopped sun-dried tomatoes
For the Dressing:
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil (from drained sun-dried tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped mint
- 2 tsp sumac
- salt & pepper as per taste
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients: garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, mint, parsley, sumac, salt and pepper.Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- In a separate large bowl, toss chickpeas, black beans, shallots and sun-dried tomatoes together.
- Pour dressing over and gently toss to combine. Refrigerate 30 minutes before serving to allow flavors to soak in.
- Sprinkle feta and avocado on top if desired.
Would love to hear your ideas/thoughts/suggestions/comments. Feel free to chime in below 🙂