Happy Friday folks! Hope you’ve had a great start to your day and here is something that will make your day a delicious one too! There is a traditional dish made in Southern India using bottle gourd and milk..it is a favorite dish in many households and I have been inspired by that dish to make this sweet potato and tofu curry. In this dish, I have used a paste of green chillies with coconut milk to compliment the sweet potatoes. It is a thai style curry with Indian spices and makes for a lovely meal for your evenings. Sweet potatoes are rich in beta carotene and make a great addition to your diet and tofu adds the much needed protein punch for the day. The roasted peanuts coupled with chilli flakes bring in the zing in every morsel. Well, I hope I have managed to make your mouth water. Now go ahead and try this dish and let me know how you liked it!
For the Sweet Potato Tofu Curry:
- 2 tbsp. coconut or oil of your choice
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- 1 large sweet potato
- Handful of green beans cut into 2 inch pieces lengthwise
- 1 yellow pepper cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 red pepper cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 can coconut milk + equal quantity water (or regular milk)
- 14 oz. tofu, drained and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 6-7 green chillies grind into chunky paste
- 1-2 strands of curry leaves
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt + more as per taste
- a large handful of roasted peanuts nuts (Optional or you can replace with roasted cashew or pine nuts)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2-3 green onions sliced
- Pinch of chili flakes
- Add oil to a large wok on medium heat to it add ground green chili paste and let it fry until lightly browned.
- Add finely chopped onion and ginger garlic paste to the pan together with turmeric and cumin.
- Stir and cook for a few minutes until the onion is translucent and slightly browned.
- Meanwhile, peel and cut the sweet potato into cubes. Add the sweet potato to the pan and let sauté for a few minutes.
- Stir around to make sure nothing is burnt. You can add a splash of water or more oil if the spices stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add green beans, and bell peppers to the pan and let it fry for 4-5 minutes until all the vegetables are well coated with all spices and they are slight browned.
- Now add coconut milk, water, curry leaves and tofu. Cook until the sweet potato cubes are soft and tender about 10-15 minutes.
- Before removing from the heat, taste and add more salt and spices if needed.
- Serve with cooked rice, peanuts nuts, green onions and some chili flakes for that extra heat if desired.