Here’s a healthy yet filling meal option for veggie lovers. This recipe brings together a balanced meal with tofu and avocados to the delicious rice bowl. We make this dish every week and its a family favorite. It takes you about 30 minutes to make it so it would be perfect for a meal on any day.
You can spice up the mix by adding some asian slaw that gives you that bit of crunch and bite.
For the Chilli Tofu: (Makes for 2)
- 14-16 oz. firm or extra firm tofu
- 1 T peanut oil
- 2-3 T sliced green onions
- large piece of ginger root, grated
- 3 T soy sauce (reduced sodium is fine)
- 3 T rice vinegar (not seasoned rice vinegar)
- 1 T Sriracha (more or less to taste)
- 1 T Chilli garlic paste
- pinch of chilli flakes to make it extra hot
- Drain the tofu well in a colander placed in the sink. Then put tofu pieces between a double layer of paper towels and press down with a heavy pan and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Once tofu is all drained. Remove and cube them into 1-inch pieces.
- Whisk together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sriracha, chilli garlic paste and chilli flakes.
- Add tofu and marinate in the sauce for 10 minutes.
- Heat the dry wok (or heavy pan) over high heat for one minute. Then add the peanut oil and heat about 30 seconds more.
- Add the sliced pieces of ginger and green onions and cook just until they are fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add tofu pieces, lower heat to medium high and cook, turning often, until the tofu is nicely browned on both sides, about 7-8 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, transfer tofu pieces to a plate and pour sauce and garnish with more green onions.
- Serve hot.
For the bowl: (Makes 2)
- 2 cups of cooked brown rice
- Chilli tofu from the above recipe
- Asian slaw of your choice
- 1 avocado sliced
- For Garnish: sliced lemon wedge, Cilantro and black sesame seeds
- Divide all ingredients between two bowls. Garnish with lemon wedge, cilantro and black sesame seeds.
- Serve with hot or cold tea.
Well, I am tempted to make this dish again this week and hope you are tempted too! Let me know if you liked it 🙂