Having smoothies in the mornings is a great idea for a breakfast on the go. I usually make it in the evening while cooking my meal and stick in the fridge so all I need to do in the morning is to pour it in a sipping jar and I am all set. This smoothie is generally liked by many mainly because of the rich and comforting flavor. It is naturally a little sweet so you don’t have to add any extra sweeteners.
Butternut squash, I think is one of those vegetables that is hard to peel and cut but once you are past that step you will love to cook and eat it. One way to get over this initial step is to just cut the vegetable in half and roast it in the oven. While roasting, butternut squash becomes softer and makes it easy to get the pulp off the shell while absorbing all the nutrients from it.
While on the topic of nutrients, it is a great winter vegetable and it is packed with Vitamin A and antioxidants. My recipe below also adds ingredients like Soy milk and Dates to the mix. These not only bring new dimensions to the taste and texture but also bring essential nutrients like iron and calcium to the table. All in all this is one hell of a breakfast smoothie that will give you that extra strength in the morning.
Like always, would love to hear your comments and suggestions. tata!
For the smoothie:
- 2 cups of soy milk
- 1 cup roasted butternut squash
- 3-4 large Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon powder (optional)
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- ice cold water as needed
- Preheat oven to 400 F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice squash lengthwise and scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
- Brush a bit of oil on the squash and sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Place squash on the baking sheet, cut side up, and roast for 35-50 minutes, until fork tender and golden brown on the bottom.
- Allow to cool and then refrigerate to chill overnight.
- Add all smoothie ingredients into a high speed blender and blend on high until smooth. Add water if needed to smoothie to get the desired consistency.
- Serve immediately & enjoy!